What if there was a simple practice that allowed you to reprogram the parts of your subconscious holding you back from living your best life? You see, the subconscious informs the conscious mind in most of what you do. If your subconscious holds a story such as, “you are not good enough or worthy enough”, then your conscious mind will follow suit with actions or inactions to support those beliefs. Self-sabatoge anyone?
There is an ancient tantric practice that helps re-program the subconscious with positive messaging so to better direct our actions. This practice dates as far back as 1000 AD and was modernized in the 1960’s by a teacher from the Bihar School of Yoga. It is a practice that helps one to access and reprogram the subconscious in a seemingly effortless manner. It is known as Psychic Sleep or Yoga Nidra.
As a long-time yoga teacher, I often would introduce elements of Yoga Nidra to my students at the end of class while they rested in Savasana aka corpse pose; the usual supine relaxation position taken at the end of a yoga session. It is in this resting state that the practice of Psychic Sleep is experienced. A quote from one of the oldest tantric texts to date, the Vigyana Bhairava Tantra, describes the state of yoga nidra as “the point of sleep when sleep has not yet come and when external wakefulness vanishes”. It is during this point, that pure being is said to be revealed.
It is here, at the precipice of sleep, where we can re-program the subconscious with a positive resolve. Experiencing a Sound Bath during the practice of Psychic Sleep is doubly beneficial as the gentle vibrations loosen up the debris of the old to make way for the new.
Live Life Soundly!
A Sound Bath is a popular mode of self-care these days because it is deeply relaxing, rejuvenating and meditative at the same time. The practice of sound bathing is passive. Participants simply lie down on their back to “bathe” in a healing mix of vibro-acoustic sound. Once immersed in these rich healing sounds, it is easy to let go of worries and dive deep into a place of pure relaxation and bliss. This feeling of sweet serenity and well-being can last for many hours or even days afterwards.
The combination of frequencies brought on by healing instruments such as singing bowls, tuning forks, chimes, drums, gongs and the human voice work together to entrain the brain and body to a calm and meditative state. Vibrations help to remove any discordant or incoherent energy in the body or auric field thus bringing one into a state of harmony and balance. Negative thought patterns melt away as the sounds bring the mind to a meditative still-point. This is perfect for those who find traditional forms of meditation both uncomfortable and challenging. A Sound Bath is a perfect remedy for when life feels particularly stressful or for when you simply want to indulge in the act of self-care.
There are quite a few options for trying a sound bath in Los Angeles.
The Sound Code offers affordable sound bath events and individualized sound bath experiences at this time.
It is that time of year again. Holiday songs play on the radio, decorations fill the stores, advertisements sell a “happy home” with a Hallmark family around the dinner table. But the reality is that the holidays can be stressful.
Making travel arrangements or playing host requires a lot of effort and spending time with family can be challenging as old dynamics are replayed and not so pleasant memories uprooted. Some may be alone for the holidays which can also be trying.
No matter your situation, practicing self care techniques can be vital for getting through the holidays.
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
1. Deep Belly Breathing. You can’t stay calm when breathing shallow or hyperventilating. Practice a few minutes of deep belly breathing to help relieve stress quickly. Simply place one hand on your belly as you sit up straight or as you lie down flat. Breathe in through the nose as you inhale. Fill the belly with breath as if it were a balloon and as you exhale, breathe out through the mouth and allow the belly to empty. Practice deep belly breathing before big events or gatherings so that you can use it readily should you find yourself triggered. In the moment, you can practice this breath for about 30-60 seconds to help ameliorate an emotional flare up by giving yourself a well needed pause.
2. Practice gratitude. Focus on the things you are grateful for. This can be as simple as being grateful for your next deep belly breath. Practicing gratitude is a quick and effective way to shift the worried, anxious mind to thoughts that are lighter.
There are a few ways to practice gratitude. I like to say aloud what it is that I am grateful for and why. For example, “I am grateful for my eyes, with them I can see all the beauty that exists in the world. I can see my son, I can drive and read. Thank you, thank you, thank you for my eyes and working vision.
3. Move your body. Doing some gentle yoga or stretching before and after travel and during the holidays can be a way to move stored energy in the body. If you have an exercise routine, do your best to maintain it. If you are traveling, take some time to get outside and enjoy the fresh air and local sites. Get the blood flowing to help endorphin production spark an elevation in your mood.
4. Journal. Take some time to reflect on your feelings as you write them down. This allows for a safe space to channel any scattered or negative emotions. It can help you to see what is coming up while providing a road map to track mental patterns or habits.
5. Shift frequencies: Treat yourself to sound and vibrational healing. Sing and dance to your favorite music or bask in resonant healing frequencies that harmonize the body, mind and spirit. Sound medicine has roots in ancient cultures and is enjoying a resurgence today in the field of both alternative and conventional medicine. Energy work, such as Reiki, pairs well with sound technology. Healing frequencies initiate a frequency shift that will leave you calm and peaceful this holiday season.
Take advantage of our Holiday Intro Special now through Dec.17th for incredible savings. Santa Monica, CA location.
Gift Certificates Available